Sunday 3 May 2009

Pan Tadeusz (1999)

Pan Tadeusz (1999)
Directed by: Andrzej Wajda

Over fifty years of film making have allowed Andrzej Wajda to experiment with script, style and story. I have watched almost all of Wajda's films since taking up residence in Poland and I begin my attempt at annotating some of his projects here.

I have not read Pan Tadeusz, an epic poem written by Adam Mickiewicz in 1834, but it is on my list of things to do. The poem is a politically enthused exploration of Polish identity garnished around a love story. For decades, it has been read by school children all over Poland, marking its importance in the countries history.

My interpretation of the film, as a foreigner in Poland, was one of deep curiosity. I feel privileged in being able to have such direct access to Polish cultural essentials, but the experiences can occasionally prove rather trying. Pan Tadeusz on the other hand, is a wonderful film that I thoroughly enjoyed. The combination of superb acting (notably Daniel Olbrychski and Boguslaw Linda) and stunning cinematography make for a splendid, albeit daring project that sweeps Mickiewicz's words off of the page into a world of dazzling colour and drama.

Wajda's Pan Tadeusz is a nostalgic interpretation of the poem, that features superb performances by Poland’s acting elite. The film is a pedantic reincarnation of Mickiewicz's poem that is both charming and detailed. Though Pan Tadeusz is a film that perhaps only Poles can truly appreciate, I found it to be a pleasurable insight into a national culture and history that was previously inaccessible in such a format.

No comments:

Post a Comment